The “What if…” mini grant program started in 2011 as an outgrowth of the Foundation’s longtime initiatives working on the grassroots level in Syracuse neighborhoods. “What if…” is designed to foster growth in neighborhoods, strengthen the capacity of Syracuse residents who seek to make positive changes in their neighborhood and increase community participation, awareness and partnerships.
We believe that the people who live in a community should decide what happens in their community. Therefore we look for projects that are driven by neighbors, grassroots organizations or others who are actively involved in making our city a better place. “What if…” grants are given for projects with a total budget of $5,000 or less for neighborhoods within the City of Syracuse. The average grant size is $3,193.
One of the keystones of the “What if…” mini grant program is community involvement, so previous recipients of these small, grassroots grants are invited to serve on our Resident Review Committee to review, advise and play a role in evaluating “What if…” proposals.
We look to support efforts to build community capacity through the following:
- Projects that create a clean, safe physical environment, promote sustainability, and protect the natural environment such as gardens, neighborhood clean-ups, tree planting, etc.
- Projects that create opportunities for learning and skill development such as workshops, trainings, afterschool programs, etc.
- Projects that preserve a strong local, cultural and spiritual heritage such as celebrations, art projects/programs, street festivals, etc.
- Projects that are supportive of individual and family well-being such as food programs, neighborhood watch programs, youth employment, etc.
In order to receive application guidelines you must attend an informational meeting on the second Thursday of every month from 6:00 pm to 7:00 pm in the Gifford Offices on the 3rd Floor of the First Niagara building, 126 North Salina Street (corner of James and North Salina.) Registration is required – no walk-ins, please. Please complete the form below, call 315-474-2489 or email email@example.com.
The 2018 deadlines for What If… Mini Grant applications are as follows:
- January 12, 2018 (funding released after February 19)*
- March 9, 2018 (funding released after April 23)*
- May 11, 2018 (funding released after June 25)*
- August 3, 2018 (funding released after September 17)*
- October 12, 2018 (funding released after November 26)*
*Note: these deadlines are subject to change.
Please plan ahead and keep these deadlines in mind when planning your activity and deciding when to apply; decisions may take up to 60 days. The Foundation will not reimburse organizations for funds previously spent.
Learn more about our Resident Review Committee, which advises us on grant recommendations.