Below are some questions that we think may be helpful. If you feel like we are missing one let us know and we will add it!
Q: Which browser would be most compatible with the Online Grants System?
- For the best user experience when applying for a grant, we recommend using Google Chrome 14 or higher, Firefox 9 or higher, or Safari 4 or higher. It is fine to use Internet Explorer, but you may encounter some minor technical issues.
Q. How do I upload files to my application?
For application questions that request an uploaded attachment, click the Browse button and then choose the desired document from your computer. The file name of the uploaded file will be indicated under the Browse button. Then save your application (button at the bottom of page). Pay attention to your file names – remove extra periods or replace them with a dash or underscore character. If you need to add more than one please contact Gifford staff for additional help.
Q. How do I utilize the “Fax to File” tool?
- Using the fax tool is simple:
- To start, click the Fax to File link on the left hand side of the screen.
- Then click the Request a Fax # button and you will be presented with a toll-free fax number. You have this number for 20 minutes.
- Fax your document to the number provided. Send a separate fax for each document and do not include a cover sheet. All faxed documents will be automatically converted to a PDF. You have 20 minutes to fax your documents before the number expires.
- After you have faxed each separate document click the Finished Faxing button to see your list of files.
- Download your converted documents to your computer and save them.
- Upload the documents to the appropriate questions on the online form.
Q. What is the maximum size file upload?
- The file size limit is noted next to the Browse button and the system will not accept files greater than this limit. Some users have trouble with appropriate settings on a scanner and end up with larger file sizes. If these documents are converted using the Fax to File tool, the file size can be dramatically decreased.
Q. How do I delete a file that I have uploaded to the application?
There are two ways to remove an uploaded file from an application:
- Once the file has been uploaded a delete button will appear below the file name. Clicking Delete will remove the file.
- To replace the file a new file can be uploaded in its place. Simply upload the correct form to the question and the old uploaded form will be erased.
Q. Can I upload more than one file upload per category?
- Applicants can only upload a single document in response to an upload question. If an applicant has more than one file they need to upload, they need to combine the files either electronically or via scanning. There are two methods applicants can use:
- If the files to be uploaded are in a format that is editable (such as Word or Excel), the applicant may take multiple Word documents or Excel sheets and combine them into one file.
- If the files are not easily edited (PDF or physical copies), they may be combined by utilizing the Fax-to-File tool. For example, sending two resumes in a fax would result in one PDF file containing both resumes.
Q. Why am I having trouble uploading my file?
There a few different reasons one may experience file upload issues:
- File names – Remove extra periods or replace them with a dash or underscore characters.
- File size – Files that exceed the maximum file size limit will cause an error. Compress the files or use Fax to File to create a smaller file.
Q. Do I need a Fiscal Sponsor?
- Our grants must be paid to a registered 501(c)(3) non-profit (including churches) or to a public entity, such as a town, public school, or state agency. All others will need to use a fiscal sponsor. (A fiscal sponsor is a registered 501(c)(3) non-profit that is willing to accept money from us on your behalf.) If you need one or have further questions regarding fiscal sponsors please contact: Lindsay@giffordfoundation.org