Since 1954 the Foundation has been awarding grants in Central New York. From the initial grants to support major educational and artistic institutions to numerous capital projects, through the years the Foundation has been a cornerstone in our community.
In 2000 the Foundation began a shift towards smaller grants awarded to more grassroots organizations, followed by intensive community engagement work as an “embedded funder” on the Southside, and later on the Near West Side of Syracuse. As the decade drew to a close the Foundation began to focus on building capacity of nonprofit organizations, believing the strong durable institutions are needed in order for the community to thrive.
Our highlighted grants display a cross-section of the grantmaking we now do – from direct, community grants through specialized support of initiatives, from small, targeted mini-grants to special projects and programs.
Annual Reports from previous years can be found under Financial Documents.